Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» A SMALL FAVOR TO ASK, tag. new lil brudder aelix
KAIREN CELTIGAR
 Posted: Oct 17 2015, 07:31 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Kai is the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Velena Velaryon Celtigar - though he was raised as the son of Arian Celtigar. Kai is a boy that is quiet, and intelligent. He loves books more than just about anything.
from king's landing
played by: echew

In all of this madness, there were a few elements that were keeping him sane. For one thing, there was Alva. She'd been there through all of the madness, and neve seemed to object to being his distraction when all else was futile. For another, there was the trouble on Crackclaw point. Kai found that he spent most of his time thinking about it, and that encounter in the tavern. There was no loosely confirmed proof that the bandits had organized. Because of this, they would be harder to handle. If there was any level of loyalty between them, they would be harder to divide. It would be more challenging to get one to turn on the others. The problem in all of this was that Kai didn't want to slaughter them if it wasn't necessary, and he wasn't going to beg or scrape for an alliance. Especially after this tourney, he wasn't going to be able to show that kind of weakness. He was going to be a Targaryen, and a Targaryen didn't beg for loyalty.

The problem with all of this was that there was one glaringly obvious plan that he didn't want to resort to. Matarys might well agree to help - he'd been agreeable every time the pair of them spoke, and Kai had no reason to fear animosity with his Stark-looking brother. Gods would it ever stop being weird to think of them as such? Kai sincerely doubted it. It was that level of weirdness that left him not wanting to ask. Three of his new brothers rode dragons. A dragon would go a long way to gaining the cooperation of the bandits. Sure, he had Aerie now! But she was a baby, and she wouldn't be large enough to be a threat for several years yet. Until then, he would only have manpower - and that hadn't been enough for the past several decades.

Now, what the point needed was change. It needed a new angle that hadn't been approached before. In order to attempt his idea however, he would need help. While he had four options of people to ask, there was only one he dared speak to just now. Of all his new family, Aelix was the one Kai felt the most comfortable with. Aelix was the only one that didn't seem to have a layer of weirdness between them. Maybe it would all smooth out with the others, in time, but Kai wasn't sure he had time. Anyway, Aelix would be perfect! He felt comfortable with the youngest prince, and a boy his age would surely love to be more involved in things. At least Kai could hope as much.

A few people had begun to filter into Summerhall for the event, including Aelix. Surely he couldn't be too hard to find. The guards would constantly be watching him, so someone was bound to be able to point him in the right direction. With Aerehra safely tucked into a cage in his room, Kai set out to find Aelix. He had only to ask around for a moment, before he was pointed in the right direction. He stopped at the doorway of the room, once he spotted Aelix, and knocked on the frame to announce himself. "Do you have a moment? There was something I was hoping you could help me with." Kai offered as way of greeting.

PMEmail Poster
^
AELIX TARGARYEN
 Posted: Oct 23 2015, 04:50 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
N/A
from Kings Landing
played by: Johnny

Aelix had been reading a lot lately, it was not unusual given that often he found himself (very definitely unfairly) confined to his quarters or else unable to sleep, but he had always preferred that Rhaenna read to him whenever she had the chance. Perhaps it was merely a childish want after a feeling of connectedness, but he rather thought that he simply lacked an intimacy with the written word which allowed his sister to seem to raise them off the page. Of course if there was something that he would wish to know then he'd pore over tome after tome until he found it, not wanting to give any Maester the satisfaction of instructing a fully willing Prince. Where Rhaenna read for the pleasure of it and knew much as a benefit, Aelix was the type to read in order to know and only then find the experience to be pleasurable. So it was that he found himself intermittently shutting himself away (willingly for a change) whenever he'd had chance.

A half dozen books lay open on his bed clustered with excepts gathered in to scrolls whether of his own writing or borrowed from the royal library in King's Landing, had he not been pressed to attend here he likely would have had better luck in the Targaryen's ancestral seat at Dragonstone. For something which dominated Westerosi history in such an obvious way there was woefully little that had been written about them save their collective exploits since the Conquest which survived to this day. Whatever had been written before seemed largely to have gone down with the Freehold, disappearing into the long darkness of the world's memory. He'd had to look hard for what little he'd been able to scrape together, the most notable entries being a heavily abridged copy of Dragonkin, a woefully incomplete copy of Fires of the Freehold which was even more woefully incomplete than the one which was supposed to exist in Oldtown and an “annotated” copy of The Princess and The Queen in which someone had illustrated the margins with crude versions of the books more dramatic accounts. Mushroom would be proud.

Regrettably he'd found no trace of Barth's Unnatural History and in truth had not expected to, but he still cursed the blind fanaticism which had led to most of the Septon's work being censored after the fact. Most “lesser” articles of dragonlore he had found seemed to cite or otherwise reference it in some form or another as if to constantly remind him of the fact. At the very least his shortcomings in this impromptu research project had spared the horses from carrying a whole other trunk on the way here... he guessed that was somehow good.

A soft knock thankfully broke off his concentration and his eyes flicked up from what he'd been reading to find Kairen, his brother Kairen though it was still a little peculiar to think of him in that manner. To have met someone and then to know them as family must always have been strange, but in this case it was all the more odd. 'Kai,' he greeted him with a nod of acknowledgement, for all that it was all strange none of that made the young man any less his kin and where some had been distant or outright cold towards him Aelix had at least tried to treat him in a manner that he would any of his other brothers. It didn't hurt that he was good company either. 'I always do, but I don't know that I'll be much help.'

PMEmail Poster
^
KAIREN CELTIGAR
 Posted: Oct 24 2015, 10:33 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Kai is the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Velena Velaryon Celtigar - though he was raised as the son of Arian Celtigar. Kai is a boy that is quiet, and intelligent. He loves books more than just about anything.
from king's landing

The first thing he noticed upon stopping in the doorway was books - a lot of them, as a matter of fact. Kai scanned the few titles he could read, trying to find some connection as to what Aelix was looking for. Problem was, there were half a hundred things he could be looking into with these books as his resource. A familiar excitement bubbled in him at the scene. How many times had he been caught in a similar state? It was something he could relate to - something he could help with.

"Why are there always books everywhere when you and I cross paths?" He inquired with a laugh. The first time had been in a library, and this time it seemed that Aelix had brought the library to him. Kai took another step into the room, hands still buried in his pockets. "What are you looking up? Anything I might help with?" He'd spent enough time with his nose buried in books that he should be able to offer something. He was familiar with all the texts present - at least the ones he could make out. Helping with this seemed like it would be a good way to spend time with his brother, and get to know him better. Couldn't hurt, could it? Anyway, he genuinely was interested to know what the pursuit was.

"Well, I was hoping you could help me with some trouble I was having on Crackclaw Point." Kai explained. It probably would be wiser to go to Matarys. Kai doubted the Stark-looking Prince would offer much protest. He'd always been amicable in the past. Would this turn of events change anything? But Aelix seemed the better option. He was of an age where he would want to be involved in things, but most would consider him too young to be involved in much. It was a maddening phase of life to be in. Kai had thought about it long and hard. In the end, he was convinced that this would be good for everyone involved.

"I was hoping I could convince you and Andracarr to spend some time with my men and I at the Whispers." They'd set up camp in the old ruins. There were massive cave systems nearby that Andracarr would certainly love. Everyone said the lithe dragon was the most ill tempered. Perhaps it would do him well to be out of the busy city. It couldn't hurt, could it? "Personally, I think their company is hardly bearable. Wanting you here is an entirely selfish pursuit." Well, it was. Kai still felt a bit like an outsider among them. It would be nice to have a friendly face and polite conversation.

"More than that …" How best to word this, he wondered. Kai was silent of the span of a second before pressing on. "We are fighting a group that don't play by the rules. I believe the greatest mistake of past Wardens is that they always have. They refused to compromise their honor, and they always come up wanting for it." That sounded bad. He knew that sounded bad. "I don't want to hurt anyone or cross any lines, of course. But I'd imagine that having a mature dragon and his rider in the immediate region would go a long way to rattle some of the bandits." He wouldn't actually use a dragon as a weapon. It was an unfair advantage. But it couldn't hurt if the bandits thought he would … it would, at the very least, do a bit to eliminate some of the edge the thieves had over him and his men.

PMEmail Poster
^
AELIX TARGARYEN
 Posted: Oct 25 2015, 06:25 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
N/A
from Kings Landing

'Oh nothing. Anything and everything that I can find to do with dragons really,' the young dragon replied with an embarrassed smile, because he had been looking not for himself, but for Valarr who still awaited the day when his own dragon would hatch. 'I... thought that I could help Valarr... with his egg,' he finally admitted. He didn't want to lie to a brother, not if he could help it anyway, there had been too many lies in their family and Aelix knew they hadn't just hurt their family either. Granted, things were not nearly as maddeningly tense as they had been between Kairen and Valarr when first the Targaryen children had learned who he really was, there was no way Kairen could ever be at Summerhall if they were and yet at the same time if there was not a division it felt as though there were a disconnection between the two. 'It's silly I know, King Aegon couldn't figure it out either, so maybe its just better given time.' Or maybe Aelix really wished that they could change the subject now that he'd been outed with his little pet project.

Kairen was thankfully accommodating.

At first Aelix couldn't believe what he was being asked, so much so that he was almost sure this was some kind of trap, a rite of passage into the family maybe “get Aelix confined to quarters and you'll be a true Targaryen” or something of the kind but the more he spoke the more things made sense. As deterrents went there were few finer than dragons, especially when the enemy had nothing more stout that yew bows in their arsenal, indeed he had spent the larger part of his morning reading excepts here and there from the life of Balerion the Black Dread and after the Field of Fire and Harrenhal he might as well have been named Fear Itself for all the difference it made.

Andracarr wasn't quite so impressive, but Seven Hells he was a living breathing dragon and that went a long way!

'So you decided that you'd change the rules?' The Lord's prerogative of course, it would be a lie to say that Aelix didn't like where Kai was headed with this. 'You can't afford to treat outlaws with kid gloves though Kai, people will respect your rule less for it and the outlaws wont respect you at all.' There were limits of course, probably no need for flayings, the very idea sent a shock up his spine and he shivered visibly. Oh! That might help!

Shifting forward so that he was prone on his stomach he rooted around in the open trunk at his bed's foot, which he'd turned around for convenient rooting, before emerging with yet another book which he offered to Kai upon standing. 'A tutor of mine recommended I read this, it's not overly opinionated and the bare facts are a fairly good yardstick for your own sensibilities. It just makes you think, you know?' The book he offered, Kai would discover upon flipping open the cover was Justice and Injustice in the North: Judgements of Three Stark Lords, fairly well worn from the number of time Aelix had leafed through but still in good condition. 'I mean, you do need to think about what comes after.'

PMEmail Poster
^
KAIREN CELTIGAR
 Posted: Oct 30 2015, 04:52 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
from king's landing

"I imagine it is something that only a dragon could explain." Kai responded with a faint smile pulling at his lips. Whatever he'd been expecting to hear, that wasn't it. The explanation left him with a rush of warmth towards this new family of his. Even if it wasn't him Aelix was trying to help, he appreciated knowing that this was the sort of family that would aid one another where they could. To him, they seemed the sort of people he could come to love when they were less of strangers to one another. He appreciated knowing that he was part of a family that would stand together.

"Perhaps the problem is not with Valarr at all, but with his dragon. It might need to grow on it's own, first." Kai suggested. He'd always felt like Aerehra could communicate with him even before he'd realized she was real. He'd had dreams for as long as he could remember. Hell, he hadn't even been the one to think up the name Aerehra. It was a name that came to him in one of those dreams. Now, he attributed those to her. Dragons were creatures of magic. Was it unreasonable to think that they were sentient, even inside their eggs? They could stay in an egg for years beyond count. Perhaps they developed consciousness after a time. Kai was of the belief that a dragon would only hatch for the right person, at the right time.

"I think Aerehra needed me to be ready to accept who I am before she would hatch." He explained, feeling a bit silly voicing the thought. Would it even help. "Perhaps Valarr's dragon is waiting for something." If that was the case, it wasn't something any of them could force. It would happen when it happened, if it did at all. You couldn't force a dragon to do anything. They were strong, intelligent, and did only what they wanted. You certainly couldn't force the thing to hatch any more than you could force it to obey you. You had to respect it and learn to understand the being.

The change of subject was accepted easily enough, and Kai was happy enough to let talk of dragon's go. He smiled, at the first comment, and laughed lowly. "Well, I certainly don't think I'll cow a bandit by paying them or offering a treaty." If he asked nicely or used gold, their loyalty would waiver. If he really expected these men to stop what they were doing, he knew what he needed. "I need them to be afraid enough of me that I have their respect." They weren't respectable men, and paying the gold price would only last until someone came along with more of it. Kai wanted a peace that would last longer than a few weeks. These were hard men, and they didn't respond to polite requests. That was where the past Wardens had gone so wrong.

"Obviously Aerie will serve that purpose when she's grown. But I thought you and Andracarr could help until then." Kai pressed on with a shrug of one shoulder. "Most people like to see experience in matters such as these before positions are appointed. It's not glamorous or anything, but it would allow you to spend some time learning in the field." Aelix would be great some day, but he was young, and he would need some real life experience if he was ever going to be given a position of his own. The Point was a fairly safe place for Aelix to begin. It was secluded with a small-scale problem to deal with. It was a safer idea than throwing him head first into a full scale war, at least!

"I can't go too easy on them." Kai agreed easily. He couldn't be soft or he would be walked all over by his men. "But I don't think it fair to abuse an advantage such as dragons." It was something that none would have a prayer of standing against. If dragons were the throne's first line of defense, the people would get angry, and feel oppressed. They had to fight on even ground, first. It would be best to use the least force possible to achieve your ends. His eyes lit up slightly as the book was offered. Smiling, Kai read the cover, before flipping through a few pages. "Thank you! I'm certain it will be an enlightening read."

PMEmail Poster
^
AELIX TARGARYEN
 Posted: Nov 22 2015, 08:48 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
N/A
from Kings Landing

Though Kairen was insightful regarding the problem of their brother's dragon, it still felt strange to talk to him about it. He wondered whether Valarr would consider it a betrayal, airing his laundry to this person in particular in spite of the fact that they now knew themselves to be kin.

'Fair is a matter of perspective,' the Little Dragon was quick to observe, having presented Kairen the book. 'Even though these men lack an advantage you do not it hardly makes employing it unfair. Doubtless a great number of the people these bandits have harassed, oppressed and murdered would find little to no fault in them perishing amidst a sea of fire. Personally I find myself disposed to agree on that count.' Aelix saw no fault in it, these men had abused their two advantages of strength and steel to leverage goods and gold out of the law abiding citizens of the Point, citizens who fell under the protection of the crown. It would do well to remind such men of why there was no House which stood above the House Targaryen, that there were no men so strong that they could resist their rule. 'That you would think to treat with such men honourably speaks of your character, though what it says I've no idea.'

Though his voice remained light, there was a playful chastisement in there somewhere. He wasn't about to tell the Warden of the Point how to keep his own lands, but Kairen could hardly expect him to be any easier on him than he was on their other siblings. Honestly that he wished to treat such men fairly vexed the young Prince who would just as well see them all dead to a man. The alternative worried him, he did not like the idea that men would die for his brother's honour and he did not like the notion of where that put him.

'I think that Andracarr and I might be able help regardless, putting the fear of The Seven in people is generally just something that we do anyway. It would be nice to turn his grumpy disposition to nobler purpose, I think.' There was something else which was bothering him as well when it came to it.

'I do wonder though, why ask me of all people?'

PMEmail Poster
^
KAIREN CELTIGAR
 Posted: Dec 8 2015, 11:14 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
from king's landing

"You are right, of course." Kai agreed. Aelix may be young yet, but he wasn't wrong in that matter. "If I meet this foe following the rules, I will prove myself as useless as the past several Wardens." That was their problem, wasn't it? The past several Wardens played by the rules, and seemed to expect the bandits to do the same. When it came to combat there were expectations. You did not stab a man in the back, and you didn't use underhanded means. Doing so was considered a mark on your honor. But there was no honor among bandits. "They will not be giving me the same courtesy, and I know it well. But unlike them, I am being watched and judged by the realm. If I sink entirely to their level my name, and that of our father, will be soiled for it. I cannot do that. But I can offer them a threat they dare not contradict." It was a hollow threat - but it was one that was too dangerous to doubt.

"We could kill them all, but more will arise in the end - the children, friends, and kin of these men would rise in their name, and the problem would carry on. I want a more lasting resolution than that." This problem has been carrying on for generations. The point has been riddled with conflict for as long as he could tell. Ever since the Whispers fell into ruin, bandits have called it home. "The only way this will end, is if we forgive these men of their crimes, and convince them to govern the region in a different manner. I hope they will continue under my orders, and help keep the peace." If he had an army as large as this covert network, they could help him prevent others from filling their former position. Perhaps it would fail. History certainly suggested as much. But it was something new, and it was worth the chance.

"'I do wonder though, why ask me of all people?" Why did he ask Aelix. Aelix was his youngest brother - younger even than Aenon. He was barely three and ten, and he would bring no experience to this. Anyone would call him mad when he had three other brothers to beg for assistance - four if he counted Aegon (which Kai didn't). The answer that came to mind was so simple, it made him pause for a moment. But perhaps it truly was as simple as that.

"Because I trust you." He admitted simply. "Of all my new kin, you are the only one that never met me with a cold look or distance. You never seemed to think less of me, before this revelation or after." Aelix had been a friend, and he was the only one Kai easily saw as kin. He was comfortable with the youngest Targaryen. "This could well be the perfect chance to get to know Matarys or Valarr. But on top of my duties, I do not need the anxiety of feeling unease around the people I work with." It wasn't that either had done something wrong. He simply didn't know them, and there would be some strain should they attempt to work together. With Aelix, he would be more comfortable. Asking for someone with experience would bring someone with conflicting ideas an opinions to the table. It would create opposition to his plan. Nothing would work if they were bickering about what the best course of action was. Kai wasn't looking for advice. He was looking for a partner. Aelix would help him where others would likely only challenge him.

PMEmail Poster
^
AELIX TARGARYEN
 Posted: Dec 15 2015, 10:39 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
N/A
from Kings Landing

'Truly?' Aelix managed to sound shocked at Kairen's bold yet simple statement of faith in him, raising a brow at first but then finding himself nodding in assent to his assessment of their remaining brothers. 'Valarr is capable, a great fighter but he is... complicated. Do not think ill of him because of it.' Aelix did not suppose he would, Kai did not strike him as a person particularly reproachful in his manner and he seemed to want to integrate in some manner or another with his newly found family. Seven hells, they didn't make it easy though. 'Matarys might be more amenable to reason and he is certainly well read, not unlike yourself of course and as for Egg. Well, Aegon is Aegon.' That about summed it up as far as Aelix was concerned he still wasn't sure if he'd forgiven his sibling for ratting him out during the Lannisport Tourney but of late he felt as though he knew each of his siblings less and less. Seeing the way some of them reacted to the revelation that was Kairen Targaryen... it had gone some way towards altering his perceptions of the royal family. He loved them all still but he felt less at ease amongst them now than once he had, a feeling he hoped would pass in time.

Having perched himself back on the bed (after sweeping himself a place to nestle among the mess) he shifted awkwardly at the thought, wishing he could have had them when literally anyone else was in the room with him. 'You might... hm, well you may try Visenya all things considered. She's no gentle maiden and she has a name famed in the history of the Point... although of course her allegiances may be somewhat divided.' It wasn't a great idea, but he felt like he had to say something.

He crossed a foot over one knee and leaning on it with his elbow rested his head on his hand. It struck him as peculiar and a little annoying, depressing even that they weren't able to call on the whole House Targaryen to whom he felt so close merely because Kai hadn't known or been known as part of it. 'I had thought that perhaps you chose me thinking that being the youngest I'd be the easiest coerced by vague promises of adventure and glory... you... would not have been entirely wrong.' The Little Dragon gave a huff of agitation as if he expected a plume of smoke to result before he continued.

'You really do need me though don't you? Alright then.'

PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll