Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» I READ THE MOST WONDERFUL STORY, tag. ALLIE BBY
RODRIK HARLAW
 Posted: Sep 11 2015, 06:35 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Rodrik "the Reader" is Lord of the Ten Towers, and ruler of the island of Harlaw. He has three children, though his youngest son is the official heir. Rodrik married his salt wife (it's a long story). He's brilliant, and a generally friendly person.
from the ten towers
played by: echew

Do you know what is the worst kind of place to live if you have a bum knee? Somewhere with a lot of stairs - much like the ten towers! The place was quite literally made of stairs, and it could be really and truly exhausting when his knee acted up. Of course it kept him from getting too lazy. If he wanted to get around he had to strain himself to climb stairs. He couldn't take the easy path and keep to one floor for long. Of course, this same thing also kept him confined to his library much of the time. Fine, so it was more a convenient excuse than anything! He'd probably hide in his library anyway, he'd just have fewer worthy excuses.

Rodrik would still be in said library had it not been for the letter that just arrived … fine so it arrived two days past. It was a lengthy thing that arrived by ship. The letter was penned in the hand of an academic named Niels. Apparently the man had taken residence at the Red Keep. He'd been working on translating a text, and he was having some trouble with it. Flatteringly enough, someone had suggested him to aid the man in his endeavors. Originally, Rodrik set it aside, intending to mention it to Alaena that evening … but that was before he'd gotten horribly sidetracked and buried it under another book. Today it had fallen back into view. After that Rodrik thought it best to mention it to his wife now, before he forgot it once more.

Leaning heavily on his cane, Rodrik wandered through two towers before he found Alaena alone in a room, working on some sewing. Amused, Rodrik propped himself up in the door, watching her struggle with what appeared to be some of his trousers. Presently there was a gaping hole in-between the legs - one that he was fairly certain hadn't been there that morning. Only his wife would find a way to make the holes worse when she aimed to fix them. Rodrik grinned to himself as she grumbled, clearly irritated by her task. Chuckling, Rodrik finally stepped into the room, and approached the chair his wife was sitting in.

"You know," Rodrik began conversationally. He drew closer to her chair, and leaned down to plant a kiss on her cheek. "You didn't actually have to cut a hole in my trousers for better access." He informed her with another chuckle, before straightening up. "You are actually welcome to have at me whenever you wish." It needed to be said, obviously. Fine, so his humor wasn't likely to be appreciated just now. She was already annoyed, and his jokes would be ill received. But at least Rodrik found himself amusing. It was worth it. Rodrik hooked the beak on his cane over the edge of a table, before sitting down nearby.

"So I was reading today," surprise of the century right there. Surely nobody could have seen that one coming. "I learned something I had to share! It was truly fascinating!" His tone was excessively bright - just as it always was when he started yammering on about some mundane fact that nobody other than Eiya would care about. "Apparently, if you don't take your wife off the island at least once every two decades, she's sure to leave you." Rodrik informed Alaena with faux awe. It was true enough with her. She'd always been fond of traveling. Since they married, she'd spent far too much time on this rock. She hadn't complained much, but he knew it had to be driving her mad.

PMEmail Poster
^
ALAENA HARLAW
 Posted: Sep 17 2015, 09:36 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Is a Salty Whore.
from The Ten Towers
played by: Oswin

The clench of her jaw had never been so tight, the strain was beginning to wear on the tendons. Every once in a while, when Alaena finally decided to move it, the pain stretched along her jaw line and traced down her neck. The nerves of her teeth threatening to revolt from the tension. It had been a small mend, she promised herself. Eyeing the minuscule hole that had materialized along one of the hems in her husbands breeches. It had been a simple enough idea, how hard could it be. Surely the fabric only required a few stitches, nothing too orthodox. She could nip this hole in the bud before it became a problem. Or so she had thought, Alaena had been hoping, that over the years her devastating skill at sewing had at least improved slightly. Yet here she now sat, promising herself that she only had to unhem two lines in order for her to at least try and sew a straight line, Which had ended up encouraging the fabric to fray and resulted in her unpicking more and more lines until she was left with a rather gaping hole.

Actually, the reason she had set sights on her husbands poor, unsuspecting trousers was that she had finally received a raven back from The Parchments. She had not heard from her estranged family in years. Her sisters, or her brother. Her father had publicly disowned her when news of where she had been taken to came to light. Alaena had taken to writing to them, at least hoping to appeal to her mother - or hoping that her father had passed on and her brother had finally inherited to hear her out. She had written to each of her siblings on their name days, each year she had been gone. Yet the same silence on the other end, she did not know if her messages were being received and ignored, or perhaps seeing the wax label that was adorned to the note they simply destroyed it.

However, in a recent turn of events she had found that they did not turn away this letter, Alaena had not thought her request was absurd. She had just wished to visit, to bring her children with her. For them to meet their relatives. The woman wanted to show her family where she had grown up - to see her siblings that had been children when she had left. Hoping to at last received good news from the bird that returned, all she had gotten, scrawled in slanted writing of the maester was a suggestion that perhaps she was writing to the wrong location. That both daughters of Lord Penrose were married on the mainland and any suggestion of iron born on their shores would be met with hostility as it always had been. Skimped from even a well wish, her emerald eyes bore into the parchment. She had known that scrawl for as long as she could remember, it was the hand that had taught her how to write and not to be so dismissive of others. Yet here it was, clearly already having written her off.

The agitated muttering that was stirring her breath had mostly gone unnoticed, attempting to take her anger out on the material rather than shouting at some poor unsuspecting victim. Even after all these years she could still feel the sting of rejection. The blonde had decided to choose anger over sadness, even if it had threatened to overwhelm her. An off comment, following quickly in succession with a bearded kiss planted itself on her cheek drew her slowly back from the spiralling pit of fury that she had been dwelling in. An unamused grunt rolled across her tongue, raising her mossy hues to meet his briefly as he continued before dropping back down to what she was doing. "I quite remember a time when you did not want anything to do with me in that way." The anger that was radiating from her form slipped into her tone. Having to remind herself that she was not angry at Rodrik, she took a moment, dropping the needle and almost unusable pants into her lap. "A lady has to keep her options open." It took a great deal of effort to ease the temper from her voice but she managed with a small smirk.

There was no small shock coming with the announcement that Rodrik had been reading. She would have been quite worried if he hadn't. "Apparently, if you don't take your wife off the island at least once every two decades, she's sure to leave you." Glancing up once more with a roll of her eyes, unable to catch on to her husbands cheer. "I could have told you that, dear." With another frustrated sigh the rest of the fabric had to be unpicked again. Leaving a rather large split. The material would perhaps be better use as a skirt now. "Where are you taking her?" A frown threatened to burrow so deeply into the high planes of her forehead. Unsure if it was the particular stitch she had just placed or in light of the news she had just received herself. "Be sure to write this time 'round."

PMEmail Poster
^
RODRIK HARLAW
 Posted: Sep 17 2015, 10:10 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Rodrik "the Reader" is Lord of the Ten Towers, and ruler of the island of Harlaw. He has three children, though his youngest son is the official heir. Rodrik married his salt wife (it's a long story). He's brilliant, and a generally friendly person.
from the ten towers

Alaena was annoyed. There was no missing that she was annoyed. Somehow she always wound up sewing when she was in a bad mood. Honestly, Rodrik blamed her temper for her inability to sew a straight line. If she did it when she was in a good mood, he imagined it would go better. Alas, here they sat and another pair of his trousers were gone. He didn't particularly mind. Rodrik wasn't a man who cared a great deal about what he wore. His books certainly didn't mind, and Alaena couldn't be upset, since she was the one ruining his clothes anyway! So really, Rodrik was content with whatever was available. He attempted a joke at the massive hole, though he knew it wasn't likely to go well. Her angry muttering could be heard from the moment he entered the room.

"Oh, to be young and stupid!" Rodrik responded with a wistful sigh. Part of him wondered if he should pry. She might feel better if she talked about whatever was bothering her. But Rodrik, of one, thought it might go better if he got her to cheer up, or relax a little, before they set into that.. Something had set her off, and it couldn't be the boys! They were off raiding, and Eiya was finally safe at home. "Trying to mind my manners really was a useless endeavor …" He noted with a chuckle. As far as he was concerned there was no more beautiful a woman in the whole of Westeros, and he wasn't at all ashamed to point it out to someone.

"OH! Am I allowed to help you sort through these options?" His tone took on an edge of enthusiasm that wasn't even forced. His eyes lit up with a grin as she teased him about finding someone else. "You do, after all, have the most appalling taste in men." Rodrik pointed out decidedly. There was no arguing with that! She fell in love with the man that held her captive for gods sake! Wasn't there some kind of mental condition about that happening? "Someone has to save you from yourself. Who better than your husband?" Who better than your husband, indeed! It was these moments when Rodrik wondered if there was something wrong with them. Most men would want their wife to cover up. Rodrik didn't honestly care who appreciated his wife's beauty. Most men would be insulted by the suggestion that their wife was finding someone else. Rodrik, on the other hand, begged to help her make the decision.

"Well I'd been hoping she'd accompany me to King's Landing." Rodrik responded, as if he weren't talking to the very woman he intended to bring with on the journey. "You know how much they complain about ironborn getting lost in the Red Keep!" As it was, only two of his kin had set foot there, that Rodrik knew of. No doubt some woul complain about him being there. After all, they'd only just gotten rid of Balon! Did they really need another one to move in?! "Apparently an academic is having troubles translating a book, and I was suggested to aid him." There was a note of pride in the words - that he was actually known by someone reputable. That his name was suggested, rather than a Maester or a Hightower!

PMEmail Poster
^
ALAENA HARLAW
 Posted: Sep 30 2015, 08:55 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Is a Salty Whore.
from The Ten Towers

Fuming silently was never something she could accomplish. Her hands were always fretful, and somehow she always ended up wielding a needle in one hand, and the determination to conquer whatever piece of fabric that was before her, mostly it was Rodrik's gear that had the misfortune to get in her way - it was not her fault that her husband decided to leave his clothes lying so carelessly around. He was almost asking for her assistance on the matter. Yet this was bothering her more, than an argument with Eiya over what was considered etiquette, or with Aaric about the weight of taking things seriously. For she knew, somewhere deep down she would be able to reconcile with her children. She had long since told herself to accept that this was a bridge well burned, yet the resurfacing of the letter brought all the un-dealt with emotions back to the surface.

"Look how well it worked in your favour." The response was designed to be sardonic, yet it was mostly just distracted, Emerald eyes squinting to catch the thread that had slipped from her needle. Even in her horrid temper a small smile crept to the corner of her lips, not lifting her eyes from the mangled mess of material clutched tightly in her fingers. 'We used to have quite interesting endeavours." Recalling one particular press of a cliff face into her back and the grin it had brought to her lips. It was a shame the memory did not invoke the same response at this particular moment.

Finally, her eyes picked up off the work before her, seeking the comfort of the hues so familiar they could have been her own. "I didn't think you would be interested." Raising a lazy brow as she finally put the trousers aside, albeit a touch more forcefully than she liked to think. Admitting defeat, especially against an inanimate object was not something she took easily. But even she could see that it was a losing battle. "That we can agree on." The amusement coloured her lips as she looked over her choice of a husband, though she could argue she hardly chose him. Perhaps fate decided for her, but Alaena could not imagine life without him. Even if it did mean living with his jibes. "I can see none better fit for the position." Alaena admitted slowly, as if she were truly considering the option. "I have quite a few in mind already."

"She could be interested." Her voice light, as if she were commenting on the possibility of rain. "I would not hold her to it though." In fact the possibility of it threatened to send her heart into an excited twitter. How long had it been since they had made a trip to the Red Keep. Leaning back into the cushioned chair, the blonde felt her back sigh in relief. Finally free from the rigid tension that had been budding there. "Apparently an academic is having troubles translating a book, and I was suggested to aid him." Straightening her spine, the forethought of her anger was brushed aside. "Truly? Congratulations Rodrik!" Her two separate statements threatening to rush together. The sinking feeling threatened to return in her chest, refusing to let it dampen Rodrik's moment. "Though why they consulted an ironborn is beyond me," Beaming at him from her armchair. "Don't the greenlanders know they can't read?"

PMEmail Poster
^
RODRIK HARLAW
 Posted: Oct 25 2015, 04:49 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
from the ten towers

Quite frankly, Rodrik didn't know what to make of the comment. She was obviously distracted, and there was no telling if she meant the comment in jest, or mockery. It seemed safer not to comment at all. In his own opinion, everything had worked out quite nicely. The day he found out she'd been taken he was ready for everything to go up in flames. What other option was there when your fool of a sailor took himself a damned noble?! Still, he was happy with how his life had gone. It wasn't exactly a whirlwind romance that most women would dream of, but they were happy … weren't they? Glancing at her face now, Rodrik might wonder if she truly was content. But he tried not to dwell on the fact for long.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" He pressed. Everyone, including the trousers in her hands, knew that something was bothering her. It wasn't something she could brush off and pretend wasn't there. Everyone could see it. Why else would she be in here doing the mending? Alaena hated sewing! It wasn't often a task she took up when she was hoping to maintain a good mood. If her day was already ruined, then why not try. She'd been upset by something, so she came here. He'd intended to let her come to him when she was ready to talk about it. But would she? Alaena was a master of the sarcastic banter. The weeks they'd spent ignoring one another in her early days were proof enough that she may never tell him without prompting.

"Of course I'm interested! There is little I wouldn't do to give you peace of mind." Rodrik insisted. It was true enough, even if he might hesitate to help her pick a new lover. He had, after all, let her go when he thought that was what she really wanted, hadn't he? If he could watch her sail away, he could do damn near anything. In spite of the barbed jest, Rodrik found himself grinning as she spoke the words. There was a spark of humor in her green eyes. Perhaps her dark mood was lifting. He'd happily offer her a bit of his pride if it actually helped. On this matter, at least, he knew she didn't mean it. One of the things he was truly secure in regarding his life was his marriage. She could have left him long ago. She could have had him killed and she had ample reason. But she was here - three children later and she was still here. Alaena leaving was the last thing that worried him.

"Good! I'm relieved to hear that you've given this some forethought. Shall I start preparing invitations to invite them to Harlaw?" He offered his tone businesslike and unconcerned. If this joke turned into a game of "Chicken" chances were good that he actually would send out the invitations under the guise of some political matter or another - perhaps pretend it was for discussions of a betrothal for Aaric.

"Thank you!" He found himself beaming at her praise. He truly couldn't imagine who would suggest him for something like this. Surely there were men at the citadel with more experience than him. "I've no idea - though we may have to find out who was suggesting me." His tone had taken on a bland note, whilst his eyes crinkled with amusement. "Someone is going to be mighty disappointed when an illiterate raider shows up at the keep." There were no two words in the spoken language that described him less than "illiterate" and "raider". Rodrik detested raiding, and he had long since sold his soul to the written word.

PMEmail Poster
^
ALAENA HARLAW
 Posted: Nov 20 2015, 07:03 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
Is a Salty Whore.
from The Ten Towers

Glimpses of the past drifted around her, as the fickle moments passed between them and through her fingertips. Alaena could almost feel them manifest between her fingers. All of her wanting to reach out to him, yet it was something in her that always refrained. The stubborn solidarity of not wanting to ruin a good thing. The first year of their relationship had been as though one was walking on sleeted ice. Never knowing when the vulnerable surface was going to shatter under the weight that had been placed upon its feeble façade. Rodrik had told her what this life would bring, what it always did. Alaena had known she would be receiving reactions from it for the rest of her life. Once she had been taken that was it, in her mind there had never been any going back to how she was. Yet there had always been a small ray of hope that shone through the clouds on a rainy day. The scrawled and somewhat smudged ink was making a valiant effort to smother whatever light she had with clouds.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" A sigh brushed past her nose, albeit hesitantly. Rodrik had always been the one with the deft skill to pull her a part. Yet her anger had been no secret, Alaena had long since decided that it was an easier path to take than sadness. That it was easier to let a flame burn and leave nothing left, rather than have a hole that gnawed deep within the pit of her stomach. Without a word her fingers plucked the disregarded piece of parchment from the table beside her, the blatant disregard for her attempt at reaching out, the denial of their being an eldest daughter of the lord Penrose, the sharp pang of rejection following with it. Not giving it so much as a glance before handing it to him. Her words before he read it would muddy his impression, that and she feared they would be strangled in her throat before she had the mind set to word it properly.

"I had wished," Alaena started weakly once he had time to read it, only to trail off. Realising how foolish she sounded. "That they would forget the past." Swallowing weakly and focusing her eyes intently on the floor. "Not me." Or to at least let her children come to the home where - if they liked it or not - their ancestors had been founded. While all of them claimed their iron heritage, they were still from the ocean port nestled off the coast of Tarth. There was no denying their blatant refusal of her existence stung. She could claim it on pride, or whatever else. Over the years she had built a wall around the small, secluded part of her heart that belong on the greenlands. Assuring herself that she could not be hurt from that place any more. Yet years later her own stubbornness was proving her wrong once more.

"Send them off," The steady foundations of her voice found their legs once more. The amusement bearing its heart in the corners of her mouth. Each playing the game of which could push the other further. "I'm sure with the signed seal of the Lord of Harlaw stamped on the back, there would be no denying." Propping her hand on the edge of her arm chair, nestling her head onto closed knuckles as she peered over to him with an innocent smile.

"It's more than likely a mistake in the ravens." A half hearted chuckle rolling across her tongue. "The poor birds can get mighty confused at times. It's not unheard of." The slow lift of her shoulders was all a part of the show, twitches in the muscles that lined her jaw aided the slip of the character she was so portraying. "Someone will most surely have to suffer the consequences once we get there." For the first time referring to herself as the one who was accompanying him. "I suppose we will just have to wait and see." Finally letting her teeth peek through her colours lips. Imagine travelling all that way for nought. Yet there was no doubt in her mind that the letter had been for Rodrik. Frankly she had been surprised that he had ever left Kings Landing once he had sourced their dragons. Then again, she was surprised daily whenever he left his library on his own accord. There was still much for her to learn on the vast, and ever growing nature of her husband.

PMEmail Poster
^
RODRIK HARLAW
 Posted: Dec 5 2015, 03:25 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon
years old
from the ten towers

Rodrik always knew that this life would be hard for his wife. It didn't matter how different he was from his people, the point stood. The Iron Islands had a different culture from the rest of the world. It was something that her parents were never bound to like, and he knew it full well, and so had she. It was why he tried to let her go when they were younger - before this all started, before she realized she was carrying Kris. He knew it would be hard, and he should he tried to spare her from it. After how everything started, he didn't expect her parents to like the way things turned out. He always knew they didn't approve of her marrying her captor. Most still spread rumors about how he'd brainwashed her and kept her his prisoner under the guise of "wife". He knew it wasn't conventional, and he knew nobody much liked it. But he hadn't expected something like this.

When she handed him the letter, Rodrik accepted it and read without a word. The letter, it seemed, was not even from her own father. It was penned in the hand of the Maester serving house Penrose. The words came as no real surprise to him. Rodrik had never been keen on raiding. He never saw the appeal in it, really. But he was familiar with the opinion. Ironborn weren't welcome on the main land. Seeing a scythe banner on the horizon would be met with hostility. He'd long since accepted that his name was a black mark he could not escape at court. But it was a burden that Alaena had elected to carry. He wished it did not taint her the same way it did him. She'd been born a Penrose. She'd served the Queen. She had a life before this, and she still had connections to the main land. she shouldn't have to suffer for the name he gave her.

"I had wished they would forget the past, not me." Her words drew his gaze away from his second read of the letter. A heaviness had settled over his chest. He always knew this life would be hard for her, and he knew that her family wasn't fond of the decision. But he never expected anything like this. What was he to say? He's sorry? Surely they don't mean it? There were no words of comfort that would offer any to her. To be rejected by your own kin? How deeply must that cut? Rodrik cast the letter aside, and rose to his feet. Supporting his weight entirely on his good leg, he removed the mending from her hands and pulled until she rose to her feet. Rodrik had only to take a step backwards before he fell back into his chair, and urged Alaena to sit on his non-injured knee.

"I'm sorry," he offered - it seemed he would go for the first words of reassurance that came to his mind, trite as they were. But the silence was too thick not to cut it. His arms came around her, lips moving to her shoulder as he attempted to offer what comfort he could. Perhaps touch would do more than words ever could. No words would sway her family's mind. What was done was done. It was a wound that had festered for twenty years. All one could do at that point was remove the limb. It seemed inappropriate to continue with the jests of finding her a proper husband after that. The humor faded as he attempted to find some solution to this problem - anything that might ease her mind. In the end, a bright grin split his lips, at the mention of King's Landing.

"You know, we could become the first raiders to get so far inland." He pointed out, as if he were actually serious on the matter. Anyone who knew the first thing about Rodrik knew he was no raider. He abhorred the practice. "We could take the city, then bring the children to the Parchments and raid them too!" Fine, maybe it was tasteless humor, but that was the only sort he'd ever had. He was only half kidding about it. He would like to just show up one day, invited or not. Surely they wouldn't turn away a cripple! He wasn't above abusing his bum knee for sympathy. At least that way it was good for something. Anyway, the raiding was a joke ... mostly. He wouldn't hurt or take anyone ... but he would definitely steal some little bauble when nobody was looking.

PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll